This was pretty good, but not one of the better omelets I have had. If I were to make this again, I would use frozen home fries or cook the potatoes the night before. I would also omit the olives.
HOWARD L. PUCKETT
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/2 omelet)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 213
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 18.1g
- Carbohydrate: 14.5g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 229mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 462mg
- Calcium: 157mg
- 1 1/2 cups sliced potato
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sliced pitted manzanilla (or green) olives
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 8 large egg whites
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- Place potato in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until tender; drain. Cool, dice, and set aside.
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 8 minutes. Add potato, olives, and oregano; cook 1 minute or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Combine egg whites, eggs, salt, and pepper in a bowl; stir well with a whisk.
- Heat 1/4 teaspoon olive oil in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add half of egg mixture to skillet. Carefully lift edges of omelet with a spatula; allow uncooked portion to flow underneath cooked portion. Cook 3 minutes; flip omelet. Spoon 1 cup potato mixture onto half of omelet. Carefully loosen with a spatula; fold in half. Cook an additional minute on each side. Slide onto a plate. Repeat procedure with 1/4 teaspoon olive oil, cooking spray, egg mixture, and potato mixture.
- Note: Substitute 2 cups egg substitute for 8 egg whites and 4 eggs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spanish Omelets Recipe at a Glance