Spanish Mussel and Chorizo Soup
If you have trouble finding chorizos, use hot Italian sausage or spicy kielbasa.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages (6 ounces), halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, bruised with the side of a knife
- Two 3-inch strips of orange zest
- Two 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Crusty Italian or French bread
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chorizos, shallot, garlic, fennel seeds and orange zest and stir over moderate heat until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the clam juice, tomatoes and 1 1/3 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the orzo, cover and cook until barely al dente, about 8 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and cook until they open, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels and the orange zest. Serve with bread.
- Wine Recommendation: 1995 Morgan Malvasia Bianca from California or 1994 CUNE Blanco Seco from Rioja, Spain.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note