Spanish Mussel and Chorizo Soup
If you have trouble finding chorizos, use hot Italian sausage or spicy kielbasa.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausages (6 ounces), halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon whole fennel seeds, bruised with the side of a knife
- Two 3-inch strips of orange zest
- Two 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- One 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1/2 cup orzo
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- Crusty Italian or French bread
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chorizos, shallot, garlic, fennel seeds and orange zest and stir over moderate heat until just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the clam juice, tomatoes and 1 1/3 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Stir in the orzo, cover and cook until barely al dente, about 8 minutes. Add the mussels, cover and cook until they open, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard any unopened mussels and the orange zest. Serve with bread.
- Wine Recommendation: 1995 Morgan Malvasia Bianca from California or 1994 CUNE Blanco Seco from Rioja, Spain.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews