This is a great recipe! The dish is full of flavor. I used an organic Moroccan saffron I purchased from Amazon, which enhanced the flavor of the dish. If you are interested, you can check it out here http://www.amazon.com/Moroccan-Saffron-LLC/dp/B00JX1QZRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402273446&sr=8-1&keywords=organic+moroccan+saffron Thanks! Keep these great recipes coming!
Spanish Chicken and Rice with Saffron Cream
This rich, creamy twist on traditional chicken paella gets an alluring Spanish accent from smoky cured chorizo and the unmistakable fragrance and flavor of saffron.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 5 Minutes
- Calories: 325
- Fat: 12.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 23.3g
- Carbohydrate: 28.9g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 95mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 556mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 2 ounces cured Spanish chorizo sausage, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- 16 pimiento-stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, lightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Cooking spray
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375°.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken; cook 4 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; place in a large bowl. Repeat procedure with 1 teaspoon oil and remaining chicken. Add to bowl. Place remaining 1 teaspoon oil, onion, and chorizo in pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender and golden, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and bell pepper; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add chorizo mixture, cooked rice, peas, and olives to chicken; toss to combine.
- 3. Combine milk and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a medium saucepan over medium heat; stir well with a whisk. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil; cook 1 minute or until thick and bubbly. Remove pan from heat; stir in sour cream. Add sour cream mixture to chicken mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon the chicken mixture into an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover with aluminum foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until chicken is done.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note