i wouldn't make this for company but it was very good for dinner with my husband.
Spanish Chicken and Rice
Simmer seasoned chicken breast pieces, veggies, and rice together in a tomato and wine-based sauce for a flavorful and low-fat one-dish meal. Top the finished dish with chopped olives for a Spanish flair.
More From Real Simple
- Calories: 442
- Calories from fat: 10%
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 8g
- Sugars: 11g
- Protein: 34g
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine (such as Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup pimiento-stuffed Spanish olives, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook until golden brown, 2 minutes per side.
Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine, tomatoes and their liquid, rice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
Stir the peas into the rice and chicken and cook, covered, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Spoon the chicken and rice onto individual plates and sprinkle with the parsley. Serve with the olives, if desired.
Upgrade: Turn this dish into a party-friendly paella by adding 1/4 teaspoon saffron with the rice. Five minutes before the rice is done, stir in 3/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note