Yield: 4 main-dish or 8 appetizer servings
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 (8-ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried dillweed
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Garnishes: crumbled feta cheese, tomato wedges, pepperoncini peppers, and kalamata olives
- Combine first 4 ingredients, stirring well.
- Unfold phyllo, and cut into 2 (13- x 9-inch) rectangles; cover with damp cloth towels to prevent drying out.
- Place 1 phyllo sheet in a buttered 13- x 9-inch baking dish; brush with melted butter. Place a phyllo sheet on top, allowing half of sheet to drape over 1 side of dish; brush portion in dish with melted butter. Repeat procedure with 15 more phyllo sheets, alternating sides of dish after each sheet so that each side of dish is covered.
- Spread spinach mixture evenly in dish; top with a phyllo sheet, and brush with melted butter. Fold over 1 top and bottom overhanging phyllo sheet; brush with butter. Fold 1 overhanging sheet on each side toward center; brush with butter. Top with a phyllo sheet; brush with butter. Repeat folding procedure with the remaining overhanging phyllo sheets, topping each layer with a phyllo sheet and brushing with butter. Cut into 4 or 8 squares.
- Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Spanakopita Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Appetizers