Spaghettini with Shrimp, Tomatoes and Chile Crumbs
Dan Kluger adds crunch to this delicious shrimp and summer tomato pasta with crisp lemon-chile crumbs.
More From Food & Wine
- 2 (large; about 1 1/4 pounds) plum tomatoes, cored and scored on the bottoms with an X
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup (about 2 ounces) dried sourdough bread crumbs, coarse
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- Crushed red pepper
- 12 ounces spaghettini
- 1 pound (medium) shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely shredded
- 1/2 pound heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat the oven to 450°. Put the plum tomatoes in a small baking dish and drizzle with the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Roast for about 20 minutes, just until the skins loosen and the tomatoes are barely softened. Let cool slightly, then peel the tomatoes. Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the tomatoes back into the baking dish and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the bread crumbs and cook over moderately low heat, stirring, until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and a pinch of crushed red pepper and season with salt. Transfer the crumbs to a bowl and wipe out the skillet.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until barely al dente. Drain the pasta, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking water. Return the pasta to the pot and stir in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- In the large skillet, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of oil until shimmering. Season the shrimp with salt and a pinch of crushed red pepper and cook over high heat, tossing once or twice, until barely cooked, about 1 1/2 minutes. Add the basil and pasta along with the reserved pasta cooking water and cook, tossing, until the shrimp are white throughout and the pasta is coated in a light sauce, about 1 minute. Transfer the pasta to bowls and scatter the cherry tomatoes all around. Top with the tomato sauce and bread crumbs. Serve right away.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note