This was a BIG hit with entire family. Broiling the sausage was the key and using fresh basil. LOVE LOVE LOVE
Spaghetti with Sausage and Simple Tomato Sauce
This versatile Italian dish goes from stovetop to table in less than 30 minutes. Serve with a simple salad for a filling weeknight meal.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups pasta, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 1 tablespoon basil)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 460
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated fat: 5.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 24.4g
- Carbohydrate: 53.3g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 57mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 895mg
- Calcium: 253mg
- 8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Arrange sausage on a small baking sheet. Broil sausage 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove pan from oven (do not turn broiler off). Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Broil sausage slices 2 minutes or until browned.
- 3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
- 4. Place tomatoes in a food processor; process until almost smooth. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add crushed red pepper and minced garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thick. Add sausage and cooked pasta to pan; toss well. Top with fresh basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes