Prepares quicky. Spaghetti picks up the flavor of the sausage & tomatoes. Big hit in our family.
Spaghetti With Sausage and Peppers
William Dickey; Lisa Powell Bailey
More From Southern Living
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 (1-lb.) package mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, cut into eighths
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 medium-size red or yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (28-oz.) can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, breaking sausage into pieces while cooking. Remove sausage and drippings from Dutch oven, and drain well on paper towels.
- 3. Sauté onion and next 3 ingredients in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper; cook 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in sausage, pasta, and cheese. Transfer mixture to serving platter, and serve immediately.
- To freeze: Prepare recipe as directed. Cool 30 minutes. Place pasta mixture in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw in refrigerator 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove and discard plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake at 350° for 40 to 45 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Turkey Spaghetti With Sausage and Peppers: Substitute 1 (1-lb.) package Italian turkey sausage for mild Italian sausage. Remove and discard casings from sausage. Increase olive oil to 2 Tbsp. Cook sausage in 1 Tbsp. hot oil as directed in Step 2. Discard any drippings in Dutch oven. Proceed with recipe as directed, sauteing onion and next 3 ingredients in remaining 1 Tbsp. oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This