This was very flavorful. I used a different type of noodle and Canadian Bacon instead of pancetta, but it turned out really well. Me and both my parents really enjoyed this.
Spaghetti with Caramelized Onions, Mushrooms, and Pancetta
Pancetta is Italian bacon that is cured with salt and spices but not smoked. Regular bacon or ham can be substituted for it.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.7g
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 4.7mg
- Sodium: 367mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta or bacon (about 1 ounce)
- 6 cups vertically sliced onion (about 3 large onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 6 cups sliced mushrooms (about 1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
- Fresh oregano (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain well; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add pancetta; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; cover and cook 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove onion mixture from skillet; set aside.
- Add mushrooms, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to skillet; cook over medium-high heat 4 minutes. Add oregano and 2 tablespoons parsley; cook 1 minute. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add onion mixture and broth; cook until thoroughly heated. Add mushroom mixture to pasta; toss to coat. Divide among 4 shallow bowls; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons parsley. Garnish with oregano, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes