- 1 pound ground lean turkey meat
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs (from 1 slice whole-wheat bread)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced (1 cup)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 (26-ounce) can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package directions and kept warm
- calories 439
- fat 12 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 3 g
- polyfat 1 g
- cholesterol 98 mg
- protein 33 g
- carbohydrate 55 g
- sugars 2 g
- fiber 9 g
- sodium 623 mg
How to Make It
Combine turkey, 1/2 cup cheese, parsley, breadcrumbs, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl, and form into 15 meatballs. Place meatballs on a plate and reserve.
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, beans, and remaining salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
Add meatballs; return to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low heat until meatballs are cooked through and sauce has thickened, 15 minutes.
Divide spaghetti among 5 bowls, then divide meatballs and sauce among bowls. Garnish with additional parsley and remaining 1/4 cup cheese.