Flavorful and delicious. Followed recipe except couldn't use the sun dried tomatoes that I had in my fridge, because they were no good; didn't miss them though. Also, added a couple of dashes of garlic salt at the end; delish;-).
Spaghetti Squash with Chicken, Mushrooms and Spinach
Up your intake of veggies with this prize-winning spaghetti squash dish. "This recipe is a variation of a go-to pasta recipe I make often. I wondered how it would work using spaghetti squash for a pasta stand-in," said Claudia Krempp of Plainfield, IL. As grand prize winner of the Cooking Light Market Basket Challenge, her wondering is over.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 296
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Fat: 9.3g
- Protein: 31.2g
- Calcium: 241mg
- Sodium: 707mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.8g
- 1 (3.5-pound) spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 slices center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1.5 cups chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Poblano pepper
- 8 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup cup julienne sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil
- 1 1/4 cup cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- Cut poblano in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 5 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 5 minutes. Peel and chop.
- 3. Reduce oven temperature to 400 °.
- 4. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash halves cut side down in a 13x9-inch baking dish. Add water to measure 1/2-inch deep. Bake at 400 ° for 45 minutes. Turn squash over; bake an additional 15 minutes or until tender; cool. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove strands to measure 6 cups. Keep warm.
- 5. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon to pan; cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan. Cool and crumble. Increase heat to medium-high; sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to drippings in pan and cook 4 minutes; remove from pan.
- 6. Heat remaining 11/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan and cook 3 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, reserved bacon, Poblano, garlic and Italian seasoning to pan; cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook 4 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add wine to pan and cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Add reserved chicken, chicken broth, tomatoes, and spinach to pan. Cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, stirring constantly; stir in 1/4 cup cheese. Place about 1 cup squash on each of 6 plates; top each serving with about 1 cup chicken mixture and 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note