"My mom introduced me to spaghetti squash when I was a girl growing up in Spokane. I liked it so much that years later I prepared it for my boyfriend, who is now my husband," says Jane Shapton.
Sunset OCTOBER 1998
1. Pierce squash in several places with a sharp knife. Set squash in a microwave oven and cook at full power (100%) until soft when pressed, 10 to 12 minutes; turn squash over after 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, rinse, stem, and seed bell peppers. Peel carrots. Cut bell peppers and carrots into matchstick-size slivers.
3. When squash is tender, cut open and scoop out and discard seeds. Scoop out tender squash strands and reserve.
4. Set a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat. Add bell peppers and carrots. Stir often until carrots are tender-crisp, 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Add broth, basil, pepper, and squash strands. Stir until squash is hot. Add salt to taste.
6. Pour vegetables into a dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
Go to Full Version of