I made as directed and we did not like this pasta recipe. The parsely was a bit overpowering for our taste. I would not make again.
Spaghetti with Parsley Pesto and Sausage
A sprinkling of crumbled spicy sausage makes a salty-savory finishing touch to herb-drenched pasta. Some pestos tend to go drab, but this one stays a brilliant emerald green.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 342
- Fat: 24.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 13.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 10.9g
- Carbohydrate: 21.6g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 5.2mg
- Sodium: 607mg
- Calcium: 193mg
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 3 ounces spicy pork Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 ounce fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided (about 1/4 cup)
- 5 cups fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add pasta to pan, and cook 8 minutes or until almost al dente. Drain pasta in a colander over a bowl, reserving 3/4 cup cooking liquid. Discard the remaining cooking liquid.
- 2. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add Italian sausage to pan; sauté 6 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Remove sausage from pan, reserving drippings; drain on paper towels. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid to pan; bring to a boil, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add pasta to pan; cook 1 minute, tossing to combine. Remove from heat.
- 3. Combine about 2 tablespoons cheese and 4 3/4 cups parsley leaves in a food processor; process until finely ground. With motor running, add remaining 1/4 cup cooking liquid and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil; process until smooth. Add parsley mixture and salt to pasta; toss well to coat. Divide pasta mixture evenly among 4 shallow bowls; top evenly with sausage, remaining 2 tablespoons cheese, and remaining 1/4 cup parsley leaves. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note