Spaghetti and Meatballs Puttanesca
"This basic kids' recipe uses meatballs, a simple jarred marinara, and pasta, and I find that a little boring. Adding a few robust ingredients like capers, anchovy paste, and crushed red pepper to my portion makes me feel like I'm eating from the adult menu."--Lynda M., Aurora, IL
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 725
- Calories from fat: 46%
- Fat: 36.9g
- Saturated fat: 12.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 34.5g
- Carbohydrate: 69g
- Fiber: 12.1g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 2549mg
- Calcium: 212mg
- 8 ounces spaghetti, uncooked
- 32 Italian-style frozen, precooked meatballs, divided
- 1 (26-oz.) jar fire-roasted tomato garlic pasta sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 lemon wedge, seeded
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1. Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine half the meatballs, two-thirds of the pasta sauce, and next 6 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Squeeze juice from lemon wedge into sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3. Combine remaining meatballs and pasta sauce in a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; fold back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until hot.
- 4. To serve, divide spaghetti evenly among 4 serving plates. For plain servings, spoon microwaved sauce over 2 portions. For grown-up servings, spoon seasoned sauce over remaining 2 portions. Sprinkle all 4 portions with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Shopping Note: Anchovy paste is typically located near canned tuna and anchovies. After opening, store it in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
- MENU IDEA FOR 4 * Spaghetti and Meatballs Puttanesca * Caesar salad
- GROCERIES NEEDED Check staples: bottled minced garlic, dried crushed red pepper, dried basil, shredded Parmesan cheese * 1 (8-oz.) package spaghetti * 32 Italian-style frozen, precooked meatballs * 1 (26-oz.) jar fire-roasted tomato garlic pasta sauce (we tested with Classico) * 1 small jar kalamata olives * 1 small jar capers * 1 tube anchovy paste * 1 lemon * 1 (15-oz.) package complete Caesar salad kit
- NOTE: Nutritional analysis is for grown-up entrée servings. For plain servings, nutritional analysis is as follows: CALORIES 616 (48% from fat); FAT 32.6g (sat 12.1g, mono 0.1g, poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 30g; CARB 57.3g; FIBER 9.7g; CHOL 67mg; IRON 4.6mg; SODIUM 1620mg; CALC 124mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note