- 1 (1.5-ounce) slice whole wheat bread
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 small onion, cut into 3 wedges
- 1/2 cup parsley leaves
- 1 pound ground round
- 2 (4-ounce) links sweet turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 2 (25.5-ounce) jars Italian herb pasta sauce (we tested with Muir Glen Organic)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- calories 387
- fat 7.9 g
- satfat 2.4 g
- protein 30.9 g
- carbohydrate 49.7 g
- fiber 2 g
- cholesterol 82 mg
- iron 5.1 mg
- sodium 940 mg
- calcium 117 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Transfer to a bowl; set aside.
Place garlic, onion, and parsley in processor; pulse 20 seconds or until chopped. Add breadcrumbs, ground round, and next 7 ingredients. Pulse 1 minute or until mixture is combined, stopping frequently to scrape down sides.
Line a broiler pan with foil. Shape meat mixture into 48 (1 1/2-inch) balls. Place meatballs on broiler rack coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 12 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink in center.
While meatballs cook, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
Bring pasta sauce to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add meatballs, and simmer 10 minutes or until sauce reaches desired consistency. Serve over spaghetti. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.