Spaghetti and Meatballs
Notes: If desired, omit veal and use a total of 1 pound ground lean beef.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 595
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 41g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 61g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 827mg
- Cholesterol: 146mg
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 pound ground lean (7% fat) beef
- 1/2 pound ground veal or turkey
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 can (about 15 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (about 8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix or dried oregano
- 1/2 pound dried spaghetti
- 1/4 cup slivered fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1. In a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, frequently stir mushrooms and 1/4 cup broth until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat egg to blend. Add beef, veal, bread crumbs, onion, and 1/4 cup broth. Mix well.
- 3. To mushrooms, add remaining broth, 2 cups water, tomatoes (with juice), tomato sauce, and Italian seasoning. Drop rounded tablespoons of meat mixture into pan. Bring to a simmer, turn meatballs over gently, and cook until no longer pink in center of thickest part (cut to test), 5 to 7 minutes. With a slotted spoon, put meatballs in a bowl.
- 4. Turn heat to high and add spaghetti to pan. Boil, stirring often, until pasta is tender to bite, about 10 minutes.
- 5. Return meatballs and any juice to pan. Stir gently just until hot, about 2 minutes.
- 6. Spoon spaghetti and meatballs into wide bowls or onto plates. Sprinkle with basil and cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note