Perfectly al dente pasta, and wonderful fresh flavors of eggplant and tomato. In the summer, I'd skip simmering the tomatoes first and just add chopped fresh to the pasta when you stir in the mozzarella.
Spaghetti Alla Norma
This is the classic Sicilian pasta sauce. The combination of eggplant and tomato is quintessentially Italian.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.3g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 444mg
- Calcium: 149mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds coarsely chopped peeled tomato (about 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3/4 pound uncooked spaghetti
- 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
- Place oil and garlic in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat 30 seconds or until garlic begins to sizzle. Add tomato and salt; cook 15 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Add the eggplant; cover, reduce heat, and cook 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Stir in basil; set aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling water 9 minutes; drain. Toss with sauce and cheese. Serve immediately.
- Wine Note: A classic Sicilian dish calls for a classic Sicilian wine, but these can be hard to find. So opt for something with the same warm Mediterranean flavors: Librandi's red wine known as Ciro ($12). From the southern province of Calabria, it's spicy, juicy, and perfect for the bold, savory flavors of basil, garlic, eggplant, and mozzarella.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note