Fantastic recipe! The sauce transforms this dish into something special. I served this at a party to rave reviews and many requests for the recipe. I have made this in the crockpot, and also in the oven. The pork gets incredibly tender. Freezes well too, which is great since it is hard to find a small pork shoulder!
Soy and Cola-Braised Pork Shoulder
Serve this East-meets-West pulled pork on hamburger buns or Kaiser rolls with shaved cucumber and carrot ribbons tossed with rice vinegar. Or stuff it into tortillas for Asian-style tacos with matchstick-cut cucumber and carrot.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 2 Hours, 25 Minutes
- Calories: 316
- Fat: 18.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 24.3g
- Carbohydrate: 12.8g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 574mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) bone-in pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups cola (such as Coca-Cola)
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup diagonally sliced green onions
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan. Sprinkle pork evenly with salt. Add pork to pan; sauté for 8 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove pork. Add ginger and garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in cola and the next 3 ingredients (through soy sauce); bring to a boil. Return pork to pan; cover. Bake at 300° for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove pork from pan, and let stand for 10 minutes. Shred pork with 2 forks. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
- 3. Place pan over medium-high heat; bring cooking liquid to a boil. Cook 15 minutes or until reduced to about 2 cups, stirring occasionally. Combine pork and 3/4 cup sauce in a bowl; toss to coat. Top with green onions. Serve pork with remaining 1 1/4 cups sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note