Excellent salad! I roasted fresh corn kernels in the oven and quickly broiled the shrimp. I added more lettuce (iceberg worked well in a pinch) and used Szechuan spicy stir-fry sauce in the dressing...as noted in several reviews, the next time I will dice the remaining avocado and include it in the salad. Two of us ate almost the entire salad! I would definitely say that this recipe only serves perhaps three to four people. It's the best!!
Southwestern-Style Shrimp Taco Salad
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 228
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 16.2g
- Carbohydrate: 25.5g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 327mg
- Calcium: 79mg
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons chipotle hot sauce
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 ears shucked corn
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 ounces baked blue corn tortilla chips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/3 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup diced peeled avocado
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Combine lime juice, olive oil, cumin, garlic, syrup, and hot sauce in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Place the shrimp in a shallow bowl. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the lime juice mixture over shrimp, tossing gently to coat. Reserve the remaining lime juice mixture; set aside. Thread shrimp onto metal skewers. Lightly coat corn with cooking spray. Place shrimp kebabs and corn on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 8 minutes, turning kebabs once and turning corn frequently until browned. Remove from grill; cool slightly.
- 3. Remove shrimp from skewers, and place in a large bowl. Cut kernels from ears of corn. Add corn, chopped lettuce, green onions, cilantro, black beans, and plum tomatoes to shrimp. Drizzle reserved lime juice mixture over the shrimp mixture, and toss gently to combine.
- 4. Divide tortilla chips evenly among 6 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 cup shrimp mixture. Combine sour cream and diced avocado in a small bowl; mash with a fork until well blended. Top each serving with about 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture. Serve with a lime wedge, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes