This is a good Mexican twist on a classic Southern dish. Be sure you like taco seasoning...there's a lot in there and the flavor really comes through. Wondering if halving the amount would make it more subtle...without being under-seasoned. I think I crushed the chips too much, because it didn't have the crunch I thought it would.
Southwestern Squash Casserole
This updated version of squash casserole comes together quickly and easily.
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Bake: 20 Minutes
- 1 pound yellow squash, sliced
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup crushed tortilla chips
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese blend
- Place first 3 ingredients in a large microwave-safe glass bowl, and cover tightly with plastic wrap; pierce plastic wrap with a fork several times to vent. Microwave at HIGH 8 to 9 minutes or until vegetables are tender; drain. Press between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Stir together cooked vegetables, Cheddar cheese soup, and next 5 ingredients until well blended; spoon into a lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes