Southwestern Spoon Bread with Avocado Salsa
Mickey Strang likes to serve this custardy casserole as an entrée for brunch or a light lunch or as a side dish for her husband's chili con carne.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 side-dish servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 231
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 8.9g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 27g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 1146mg
- Cholesterol: 143mg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- Avocado salsa
- 1. In a 2- to 3-quart pan over high heat, bring 2 1/2 cups water and the salt to a boil. Gradually whisk in cornmeal and stir until mixture is thick and smooth, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- 2. In a bowl, beat eggs and buttermilk just to blend. Whisk into cornmeal mixture until completely incorporated. Stir in chilies and chili powder. Scrape mixture into a buttered 8-inch square baking dish.
- 3. Bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until top is browned and a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Scoop out portions with a spoon and serve with Avocado Salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch