Southwestern Rice and Veggie Cakes
Not only does the cheese add flavor to this dish, but it also helps hold the cakes together; the thicker the shred of cheese, the better.
Prep: 7 minutes; Cook: 8 minutes
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 19.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.7g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 851mg
- Calcium: 321mg
- 2 (8.5-ounce) pouches Santa Fe microwaveable cooked whole grain rice medley (such as Uncle Ben's Santa Fe Ready Rice)
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (3 ounces) double-fiber breadcrumbs (about 2 slices)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (such as Sargento) or shredded 50%-less-fat jalapeño cheddar (such as Cabot)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. While skillet heats, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 2-inch patty.
- 2. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 4 patties to pan; cook 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 patties. While patties cook, combine sour cream, lime juice, and chili powder in a small bowl.
- 3. Arrange cakes on a serving platter. Top each with sour cream mixture. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes