Southwestern Rice and Veggie Cakes
Not only does the cheese add flavor to this dish, but it also helps hold the cakes together; the thicker the shred of cheese, the better.
Prep: 7 minutes; Cook: 8 minutes
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 19.2g
- Carbohydrate: 47.7g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 851mg
- Calcium: 321mg
- 2 (8.5-ounce) pouches Santa Fe microwaveable cooked whole grain rice medley (such as Uncle Ben's Santa Fe Ready Rice)
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (3 ounces) double-fiber breadcrumbs (about 2 slices)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) preshredded reduced-fat 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese (such as Sargento) or shredded 50%-less-fat jalapeño cheddar (such as Cabot)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. While skillet heats, combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 2-inch patty.
- 2. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add 4 patties to pan; cook 3 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 patties. While patties cook, combine sour cream, lime juice, and chili powder in a small bowl.
- 3. Arrange cakes on a serving platter. Top each with sour cream mixture. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This