Southwestern Red Beans and Rice
For a prepacked meal for tomorrow's lunch, store in single serving-sized containers, and refrigerate.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 319
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 14.2g
- Carbohydrate: 52.1g
- Fiber: 8.4g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 794mg
- Calcium: 144mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 (8-ounce) package presliced mushrooms
- 1 (8.8-ounce) package precooked whole-grain brown rice (such as Uncle Ben's Ready Rice)
- 1 (16-ounce) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with zesty mild green chiles, undrained (such as Del Monte)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (7 1/2-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; coat pan with cooking spray. Add mushrooms to pan; cook 6 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice and next 4 ingredients. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 2. While rice mixture cooks, warm tortillas according to package directions. Sprinkle rice mixture with cheese and cilantro. Serve immediately with tortillas.
- Choice ingredient
- Kidney beans are a great pantry staple, and they provide an excellent low-fat source of fiber, protein, potassium, and magnesium. Rinsing and draining canned beans reduces the sodium by 40 percent.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note