As a newlywed in 2005, I was a subscriber to Cooking Light and we've been enjoying this as a household favorite ever since. The other reviewers' suggestions are excellent. The only change that I make is I NEVER cook with low-fat or fat-free dairy products anymore. Nobody denies that the taste isn't as good, and when manufacturers cut out fat, they've got to add something in, usually sugar (or worse). My mantra: stick to products as close to their natural state as you can get them. Waiting for Cooking Light to get with the times! All in all, a great recipe.
Southwestern Falafel with Avocado Spread
Inspired by the traditional Middle Eastern sandwich of chickpea patties in pita bread, this Southwestern-accented version features cumin-flavored pinto bean patties and a spread that is much like guacamole.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 281
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.4g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 625mg
- Calcium: 188mg
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped plum tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 (6-inch) pitas, each cut in half crosswise
- To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork. Add Monterey Jack cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white); stir until well combined. Form into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
- To prepare spread, while patties cook, combine the avocado, plum tomato, red onion, sour cream, lime juice, and salt. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches