Southwestern Corn and Chicken Chowder With Tortilla Crisps
"A fast, fresh take on chicken corn chowder" by Sara Moulton, AP. Winston-Salem Journal: Wednesday, July 31, 2013. A hearty and complete meal in a bowl. After cutting the corn kernels off the cob, scrape the cob with the dull side of a knife: the milky liquid that results serves as a soup thickener.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 3 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 1 cup(s) finely chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 pound(s) red bliss or Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cup(s) fresh corn kernels (or thawed frozen)
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth
- 3 cup(s) chopped or shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup(s) purchased salsa
- 1 to 2 tablespoon(s) lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro or basil, to garnish (optional)
- 1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Arrange the corn tortillas on a baking sheet, then mist them with cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 teaspoon of the cumin, the chili powder and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the tortillas. Using a pizza cutter, cut the tortillas into thin strips. Bake them on the middle shelf of the oven until they are golden and crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 3. In a large saucepan over medium, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- 4. Add the potatoes, corn and chicken broth, bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the potato is tender. Transfer 1 1/2 cups of the mixture (mostly solids) to a blender and carefully blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the saucepan, add the chicken and salsa and cook until just heated through. Add salt and lime juice, to taste, and water, if necessary, to achieve the desired consistency.
- 5. Divide between 4 serving bowls and garnish each portion with some of the tortilla strips and cilantro, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note