We love this soup. It comes together easily. I usually use 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chills instead of the fresh tomato & also add more cumin & Mexican oregano. I always toss in 2 cups of frozen corn. It also does well in the crockpot, which is a bonus this time of year. Just leave the cilantro & juice until right before serving to keep the bright flavors.
Southwestern Chicken Soup
This top-rated Southwestern chicken soup is a great way to use up leftover chicken. The creamy chunks of avocado add a richness that's unusual to find in most chicken soups.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 274
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 28.4g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 2.6mg
- Sodium: 516mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (16-ounce) can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups chopped skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped seeded tomato
- 3/4 cup diced peeled avocado (about 1 medium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 6 lime wedges
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Add broth, rice, cumin, and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in chicken, cilantro, pepper, and salt; simmer 5 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated.
- Remove from heat, and stir in tomato, avocado, and juice. Serve with lime wedges.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note