Southwestern Chicken Pot Pie
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 384
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 801mg
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into about 3/4-inch chunks
- 1/2 pound thin-skinned potatoes, diced
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) stewed Mexican-style tomatoes
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (8 3/4 oz.) corn kernels, drained
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 unbaked refrigerated pie crust (1/2 of a 15-oz. package), at room temperature
- 1. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, combine 1/2 cup broth, chicken, and potatoes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink when cut in thickest portion and potatoes are just barely tender when pierced, about 5 minutes.
- 2. Stir together remaining broth and cornstarch.
- 3. When chicken is done, stir in cornstarch mixture and bring to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in tomatoes with juice, black beans, corn, chilies, and cilantro. Pour into a 10-inch pie dish, 9-inch square pan, or 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- 4. Unfold 1 pastry round according to package directions. On a lightly floured board, roll into a 12-inch round for pie dish, or 1 inch larger than dish of another shape. Place over filling; fold edges under and flush with pan rim, and flute firmly against rim. Cut shapes from crust and decorate top, or make a couple of decorative slits in crust.
- 5. Bake pie in a 350° oven until filling is hot in center, about 1 hour. Lay foil over crust if it begins to overbrown. Let pie cool about 10 minutes, then spoon from dish.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note