- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice*
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeño slices
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves, chopped
- Juice of one lime (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- Tortilla Strips
How to Make It
Sauté chopped onion, carrot, and bell pepper in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
Stir in chicken and next 5 ingredients. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in cilantro and lime juice. Serve with chopped avocado and Tortilla Strips.
*3/4 cup brown rice may be substituted for white rice. Prepare recipe as directed, increasing simmer time to 45 minutes or until rice is tender.
Tortilla Strips: Cut 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas into strips, and place on a baking sheet coated with vegetable cooking spray. Spray cooking spray over tops of strips. Bake at 400° for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp, stirring occasionally. Prep: 5 min., Bake: 15 min.