I fixed this for my sisters and their spouses and it was a major hit with all of them. Makes a lot and was very tasty. I made the crust the day ahead so I could put the rest together quickly. I served with fresh fruit and mimosas and cinnamon rolls. Made for a great brunch.
Southwestern Brunch Casserole
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided*
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 3 cups BISQUICK Original All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Salsa (optional)
- Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1/2 cup cheese, garlic, and oregano, stirring until cheese melts; let cool 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in 2 eggs, and pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes; remove baking dish from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400°.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheese, ham, and chiles evenly over grits crust. Whisk together remaining 6 eggs and 1/2 cup milk; pour into baking dish.
- Stir together remaining 1 cup milk and next 3 ingredients; spoon evenly over egg mixture, slightly spreading with back of a spoon. (Baking mix mixture will be very thick.)
- Bake at 400° for 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; cut into squares. Serve with salsa, if desired.
- *2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch