We're looking for a replacement for the usual CL breakfast casserole we make because we're tired of it, having had it regularly for years. This was good. Very flavorful with a nice heat to it. Next time we will try some of the recommendations for making it a little less wet, as it did turn out pretty wet.
Southwestern Breakfast Casserole
You can assemble this entire dish up to a week ahead. Bake the corn muffin mix ahead; store in an airtight container in the freezer for a couple of days. Assemble the casserole according to directions; cover and freeze. A day in advance, take it out of the freezer and thaw in the refrigerator (about 24 hours). Uncover and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature before cooking; bake as directed.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 271
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 14.7g
- Carbohydrate: 33.9g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 700mg
- Calcium: 290mg
- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed white bread
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) carton egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or mild cheddar cheese, divided
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; cool. Crumble muffins into a large bowl; stir in bread. Set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
- Combine milk, cumin, pepper, tomatoes, and egg substitute; stir with a whisk until well-blended. Add sausage mixture; stir well. Stir into bread mixture. Spoon half of bread mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon remaining bread mixture over cheese. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Bake casserole at 350° for 20 minutes or until set. Top with 1/2 cup cheese, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note