- 1 (8 1/2-ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) cubed white bread
- 8 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 (8-ounce) carton egg substitute
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or mild cheddar cheese, divided
- calories 271
- caloriesfromfat 25 %
- fat 7.6 g
- satfat 2.7 g
- monofat 2.6 g
- polyfat 1.7 g
- protein 14.7 g
- carbohydrate 33.9 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- cholesterol 22 mg
- iron 2.1 mg
- sodium 700 mg
- calcium 290 mg
How to Make It
Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; cool. Crumble muffins into a large bowl; stir in bread. Set aside.
Remove casings from sausage. Cook sausage and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble. Drain.
Combine milk, cumin, pepper, tomatoes, and egg substitute; stir with a whisk until well-blended. Add sausage mixture; stir well. Stir into bread mixture. Spoon half of bread mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with 1/2 cup cheese. Spoon remaining bread mixture over cheese. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Bake casserole at 350° for 20 minutes or until set. Top with 1/2 cup cheese, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.