Southwestern Barley "Grits"
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
This savory cereal--imagine cheese grits infused with chiles--will take the chill off the coldest mornings.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 314
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 13.8g
- Carbohydrate: 43.7g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 739mg
- Calcium: 327mg
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Place 1/3 cup barley in a blender; process until coarsely ground (about 15 to 20 seconds). Place ground barley in a large saucepan. Repeat procedure with remaining barley. Cook barley over medium heat 4 minutes or until toasted, stirring frequently.
- Add water, milk, honey, and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes or until barley is soft, stirring frequently. Add cheese, chili powder, and chiles; cook 5 minutes or until cheese melts, stirring constantly. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream. Serve with hot sauce, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch