This simple dip is a nice alternative to hummus. I just winged the amount of the listed ingredients and it came out pretty well. A squirt of lemon juice brightened the flavors nicely.
Southwest White Bean Spread
Photo: William Dickey; Styling: Mindi Shapiro Levine
More From Southern Living
Chill: 2 Hours
Stand: 30 Minutes
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can cannellini or great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt to taste
- Pita chips, sliced cucumbers, and olives
- 1. Pulse garlic, next 5 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. water in a food processor 3 or 4 times or until combined; process 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides. Add salt to taste. Cover and chill at least 2 hours or up to 3 days. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Drizzle with additional olive oil, if desired. Serve with pita chips, sliced cucumbers, and olives.
- Smoky Southwestern Spread: Prepare recipe as directed, adding 1 1/2 Tbsp. chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce to mixture in food processor before pulsing. Chill as directed.
- Green Chile Spread: Prepare recipe as directed, omitting water and adding 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles to mixture in food processor before pulsing. Chill as directed.
- Pickled Jalapeño Spread: Prepare recipe as directed, adding 1 Tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeño pepper slices to mixture in food processor before pulsing. Chill as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers