- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 3/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound 90% lean ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup refrigerated fresh salsa, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 (0.67-ounce) slices Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers
- 4 Boston lettuce leaves
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) hamburger buns, toasted
- calories 328
- fat 11.3 g
- satfat 4.9 g
- monofat 3.5 g
- polyfat 1.6 g
- protein 32 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- fiber 1.7 g
- cholesterol 74 mg
- iron 3.7 mg
- sodium 696 mg
- calcium 209 mg
How to Make It
Combine first 5 ingredients and 2 tablespoons salsa. Divide mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add patties to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Top each patty with 1 cheese slice; cook 1 minute or until cheese melts.
Place 1 lettuce leaf on bottom half of each bun; top with 2 tomato slices, 1 patty, 1 1/2 teaspoons salsa, and 1 bun top.
This updated version of Southwest Salsa Burgers is based on a recipe that originally ran in Cooking Light, August 2010. The recipe was retested and updated for Cooking Light Crave!, Oxmoor House, 2013.