One of our favorites, especially during corn season.
Southwest Orzo and Bean Salad
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 335
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 12g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 54g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Sodium: 210mg
- Cholesterol: 1.5mg
- 2/3 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels, fresh-cut, thawed frozen, or drained canned
- 1 firm-ripe tomato (1/2 lb.), rinsed, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions or chives
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon lime juice
- About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ripe avocado (10 oz.), peeled and pitted
- 1/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- Corn tortilla chips (optional)
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, bring 1 1/2 to 2 quarts water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until barely tender to bite, 9 to 11 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix pasta, beans, corn, tomato, cilantro, onions, lime peel, 1/3 cup lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt to taste.
- 3. In a small bowl, mash avocado with 1 tablespoon lime juice and sour cream. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 4. Equally mound pasta salad on dinner plates. Top with dollops of the avocado mixture. Surround or accompany with tortilla chips.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads