This is an outstanding recipe! We've used jalapenos, anaheims and poblanos and you can vary the flavor with the type of chili and the cheese. I put a slice of pepper jack cheese and it was delicious! So many possiblities. I've also made guacamole in place of sliced avocado and it is also delicious. This recipe has such tremendous possibilities and it's fun too!
Southwest Grilled Chicken and Avocado Melts
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Randy Mon
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 586
- Calories from fat: 42%
- Protein: 62g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 8.6g
- Carbohydrate: 18g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Sodium: 760mg
- Cholesterol: 150mg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 4 Anaheim or poblano chiles
- 4 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (about 8 oz. each)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Lime wedges
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1. Prepare a grill for high heat (450° to 550°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above cooking grate only 2 to 4 seconds). Rub 1 tbsp. oil over chiles. Cook chiles, turning often, until skins are browned. Put chiles in a bowl, cover, and let cool. Seed chiles and rub off skins.
- 2. Meanwhile, rub remaining 1 tbsp. oil over chicken. Combine cumin, cayenne, and salt and sprinkle evenly over each breast. Grill chicken, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes total.
- 3. Squeeze a little lime over chicken, then top each breast with a few avocado slices, a reserved chile, and about 1/4 cup cheese. Grill, covered, until cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note