This recipe is excellent. I made this because I had leftover cornbread and avocado on hand. I will certainly make this again and would serve to guests; it comes out like something you would get in a good restaurant, but it's easy to make. Try it!
Southwest Eggs Benedict
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 643
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 14g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 20g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 1025mg
- Cholesterol: 330mg
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (wine or distilled)
- 7 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons ground New Mexico or California chili (or chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 pieces cornbread (about 4 in. square), split, buttered, and toasted
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (about 1/2 lb.), pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 4 to 8 large eggs, cooked to taste
- 1. In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan, combine onion, white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the butter, ground chili, and cumin seed. Stir often over high heat just until sizzling, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2. Add broth and boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3. Scrape mixture into a blender. Whirl until very smooth, then whirl in remaining 6 tablespoons butter, in chunks.
- 4. Place cornbread, toasted side up, on plates and garnish equally with avocado slices. Put eggs on cornbread and spoon chili sauce over them.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch
Food & Wine