- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (wine or distilled)
- 7 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons ground New Mexico or California chili (or chili powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4 pieces cornbread (about 4 in. square), split, buttered, and toasted
- 1 firm-ripe avocado (about 1/2 lb.), pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- 4 to 8 large eggs, cooked to taste
- calories 643
- caloriesfromfat 63 %
- protein 14 g
- fat 45 g
- satfat 20 g
- carbohydrate 49 g
- fiber 4.3 g
- sodium 1025 mg
- cholesterol 330 mg
How to Make It
In an 8- to 10-inch frying pan, combine onion, white vinegar, 1 tablespoon of the butter, ground chili, and cumin seed. Stir often over high heat just until sizzling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add broth and boil until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 3 to 4 minutes.
Scrape mixture into a blender. Whirl until very smooth, then whirl in remaining 6 tablespoons butter, in chunks.
Place cornbread, toasted side up, on plates and garnish equally with avocado slices. Put eggs on cornbread and spoon chili sauce over them.