Prep and cook time: About 30 minutes
Yield: 9 to 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 192
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 5.7g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 4.1g
- Carbohydrate: 26g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Sodium: 402mg
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) coarsely shredded jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, the baking powder, and the salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Stir in chiles and cheese. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2. Scrape batter into a buttered 8- or 9-inch square pan; spread level. In a bowl, mix remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and the chili powder. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 4. Cut into pieces. Serve hot or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Southwest Cornbread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables