Very good cornbread. I increase the sugar to 1/3 cup like the recipe recommended which made for a very moist and sweet bread. Loved the chiles. May add a little more cheese next time. Delicious! I will make again.
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 243
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 7.6g
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 5.8g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Sodium: 567mg
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter or margarine
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chilies
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) coarsely shredded jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1. In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Stir green chilies and cheese into egg mixture. Pour liquids into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
- 2. Scrape batter into a buttered 8-inch square pan and spread smooth. In a small bowl, combine chili powder and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; sprinkle over batter in pan.
- 3. Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, about 25 minutes (20 minutes in a convection oven).
- 4. Cut bread into squares. Lift from pan with a slender spatula. Serve hot or cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This