- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- About 1/4 cup (1/8 lb.) cooled melted butter
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chiles
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) coarsely shredded jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- calories 192
- caloriesfromfat 35 %
- protein 5.7 g
- fat 7.5 g
- satfat 4.1 g
- carbohydrate 26 g
- fiber 1.2 g
- sodium 402 mg
- cholesterol 54 mg
How to Make It
In a bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, 1/3 cup sugar, the baking powder, and the salt. In another bowl, beat eggs to blend with buttermilk and 1/4 cup butter. Stir in chiles and cheese. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened.
Scrape batter into a buttered 8- or 9-inch square pan; spread level. In a bowl, mix remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and the chili powder. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
Bake in a 400° oven until bread springs back when lightly pressed in the center and begins to pull from pan sides, 20 to 25 minutes.
Cut into pieces. Serve hot or at room temperature.