This Southwest Chuck Roast is marinated in red wine and is cooked with tomatoes and chile peppers. Serve with yellow rice and toasted Cuban bread.
Southern Living SEPTEMBER 2007
1. Rub roast evenly with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. pepper. Place roast in a shallow dish or a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chopped onions and 1 cup red wine. Cover or seal, and chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning once.
2. Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Pat roast dry with paper towels, and sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 tsp. salt.
3. Brown roast 4 minutes on each side in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large heavy-duty roasting pan over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken broth, next 4 ingredients, and reserved marinade; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
4. Bake at 300° for 1 1/2 hours. Turn roast, and bake 1 1/2 to 2 more hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in black beans, and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Go to Full Version of