Southwest Chuck Roast With Black Beans
More From Southern Living
Chill: 8 Hours
Bake: 3 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1 (3- to 4-lb.) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (14-oz.) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10-oz.) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Rub roast evenly with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and 1 tsp. pepper. Place roast in a shallow dish or a large zip-top plastic freezer bag; add chopped onions and 1 cup red wine. Cover or seal, and chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours, turning once.
- 2. Remove roast from marinade, reserving marinade. Pat roast dry with paper towels, and sprinkle evenly with 1 1/2 tsp. salt.
- 3. Brown roast 4 minutes on each side in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot oil in a large heavy-duty roasting pan over medium-high heat. Stir in chicken broth, next 4 ingredients, and reserved marinade; bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and cover with heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- 4. Bake at 300° for 1 1/2 hours. Turn roast, and bake 1 1/2 to 2 more hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
- 5. Remove and discard bay leaf. Stir in black beans, and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes