These are amazing, can't believe no other raters. The whipped cream mixture is like the lightest airiest fluffiest chocolate mousse you've ever eaten, and the tortilla chips taste like cinnamon toast crunch cereal. I didn't like how crisp the tortillas were though, and might make this dessert between layers of pound cake instead, though then it wouldn't be "Southwestern."
Southwest Chocolate Stack-Ups
Randy Mayor; Melanie J. Clarke
Lisa Keys won second prize in the amateur division with this recipe. She works as a physician's assistant in a private pediatric practice and lives in Middlebury, Connecticut.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 341
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 60.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 229mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (such as Hershey's)
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (such as Hershey's)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 (6-inch) flour tortillas, each cut into 4 wedges
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate minichips (such as Hershey's)
- 8 tablespoons chocolate syrup (such as Hershey's)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place 1/2 cup chocolate chips in a small glass bowl; microwave at high 2 minutes or until almost melted, stirring after 1 minute. Set aside. Place cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add melted chips and whipped topping, stirring until well blended. Cover and chill.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Place tortilla wedges on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Coat 1 side of each wedge with cooking spray; sprinkle evenly with the sugar mixture. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and cool on a wire rack.
- Spread 1 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture on 1 tortilla wedge, sugar side up. Top with 1 tortilla wedge, sugar side up; 1/4 cup sliced strawberries; 1 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese mixture; 1 tortilla wedge, sugar side up; and 1 1/2 tablespoons cheese mixture. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons minichips. Drizzle tortilla stack with 1 tablespoon syrup. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, cheese mixture, strawberries, minichips, and syrup.
- NOTE: Assemble just before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts