Southwest Cheese Puff Beef Pot Pie
Notes: Prepare through step 6 up to 1 day ahead. Cover stew and chill; store cool pastry airtight at room temperature. Reheat stew, covered, over low heat until steaming, 10 to 15 minutes. Reheat pastry, uncovered, in a 350° regular or convection oven until warm and crisp, about 5 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 488
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 27g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 4.3g
- Sodium: 1142mg
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- 1 frozen puff pastry sheet (half of a 17.3-oz. package), thawed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 zucchini (1 lb. total)
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.)
- 2 to 4 canned chipotle chilies (or 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon cayenne)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) stewed tomatoes with Mexican seasonings (or canned tomatoes and 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and dried oregano leaves)
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) yellow hominy, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (about 2 lb.) cooked boned beef pot roast with gravy
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Unfold pastry on a lightly floured board. If necessary, roll out or cut pastry to fit snugly inside top of a shallow 3-quart casserole (9 by 13 in.). Transfer pastry to a 12- by 15-inch nonstick baking sheet. Cut through pastry in several places to make a decorative pattern. Brush lightly with milk and sprinkle evenly with cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze.
- 2. Rinse zucchini, and trim and discard ends; cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Peel onion and cut into 3/4-inch chunks. Discard chipotle chili stems; if desired for less heat, also remove veins and seeds. Chop chilies.
- 3. Uncover pastry and bake in a 425° regular or convection oven until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat, frequently stir zucchini, onion, and cumin in olive oil until vegetables are lightly browned, 7 to 9 minutes. Add tomatoes, including juice, and hominy; bring to a boil.
- 5. Discard any fat from pot roast and sauce. Scrape gravy from beef and reserve. Cut beef into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 6. Add beef and gravy to pan and mix; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beef is hot, 7 to 9 minutes. Add chilies to taste. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water. Add to pan and stir until boiling.
- 7. Pour hot mixture into a warmed shallow casserole. Set hot pastry on filling. Use a large spoon to break through pastry and scoop out portions. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This