Southwest Brunch Casserole
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) package mild ground pork sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 12 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Chile-Cheese Sauce
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1. Cook sausage and onion in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium; add eggs, and cook, without stirring, until eggs begin to set on bottom. Gently stir to slightly break up eggs. Cook, stirring occasionally, until eggs are thickened but still moist. (Do not overstir, as this will form small, dry pieces.) Remove from heat; stir in Chile-Cheese Sauce. Spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- 2. Stir together flour and next 4 ingredients until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 or 4 times.
- 3. Roll dough into a 12-inch square; sprinkle evenly with shredded cheese and cilantro. Roll up, jelly-roll fashion, and cut into 12 (1-inch-thick) slices. Place dough slices over egg mixture, spacing evenly.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- Kitchen Express: Prepare sausage, egg, and Chile-Cheese Sauce mixture as directed; spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top evenly with 12 frozen Southern-style biscuits. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden. Note: For testing purposes only, we used Pillsbury Southern Style Oven Baked Biscuits, located in the freezer section of the supermarket.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch