I make this with corn tortillas and black beans and cilantro added. Great recipe that you can half if you need to. I also use only one whole eggg and about eight whites.
Southwest Breakfast Strata
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 pound mild ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded colby-Jack cheese blend
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet.
- Add chopped onion and bell pepper to sausage in skillet, and sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Layer half each of tortilla pieces, sausage mixture, and cheese in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Repeat layers.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper; pour over layers in baking dish. Cover and chill up to 8 hours, if desired.
- Bake, lightly covered with aluminum foil, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch