Made this for a large holiday brunch. I substituted red peppers for green. The baking time seemed very off for me. It took almost an hour but was delicious.
Southwest Breakfast Strata
This breakfast recipe received our highest rating. You can prepare it the night before and pop it in the oven just before breakfast. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
- 1 pound mild ground pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (10-ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 8 (10-inch) flour tortillas, torn into bite-size pieces
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded colby-Jack cheese blend
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet.
- Add chopped onion and bell pepper to sausage in skillet, and sauté over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomatoes and green chiles; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Layer half each of tortilla pieces, sausage mixture, and cheese in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Repeat layers.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper; pour over layers in baking dish. Cover and chill up to 8 hours, if desired.
- Bake, lightly covered with aluminum foil, at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note