Southern-Style Mustard Greens
- 1 (1/2-pound) ham hock
- 2 quarts water
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 small red pepper pod
- 1 bunch (about 2 pounds) mustard greens, cleaned
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, finely grated
- Wash ham hock, and place in a 10-quart Dutch oven. Add water, onions, and pepper pod; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until meat is tender.
- Add mustard greens and salt to Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 2 hours or until greens are tender. Drain, reserving 1 1/2 cups pot likker. Remove pepper pod; discard.
- Transfer mustard greens to a serving dish. Pour pot likker over top, and garnish with onion rings and grated egg.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note