Use brown sugar instead. Add chipotle pepper in adobe sauce for a little kick. Be careful! Seeds are very hot! You can scrape out seeds and add peppers to taste.
Southern-Style Collard Greens
Crispy bacon, sautéed onion, ham, and garlic perfect these Southern-Style Collard Greens, making them an essential part of your traditional Southern feast.
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 4 Minutes
- 12 hickory-smoked bacon slices, finely chopped
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 pound smoked ham, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 (32-oz.) containers chicken broth
- 3 (1-lb.) packages fresh collard greens, washed and trimmed
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook bacon in a 10-qt. stockpot over medium heat 10 to 12 minutes or until almost crisp. Add onion, and sauté 8 minutes; add ham and garlic, and sauté 1 minute. Stir in broth and remaining ingredients. Cook 2 hours or to desired degree of tenderness.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note