I omitted the twigs, but it was a great jump off point!! I used crushed walnuts and also a drizzling of melted white chocolate too. They were a wonderful hit at our first fall gathering!! I was surprised at how easy it was to do, I'll never buy a caramel apple again, now that I know that I can successfully do it with ease!!
Southern-Style Caramel Apples
Photo: Beth Dreiling Hontzas; Styling: Buffy Hargett
Branch out and get creative with some of our favorite toppings.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
- 6 apples
- Food-safe branches, such as magnolia twigs, or craft sticks
- 1 (14-oz.) package caramels
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- Crushed peanut brittle or toasted pecans
- Remove the stems from apples, and insert food-safe branches or craft sticks. Microwave caramels, vanilla extract, and water until melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Quickly dip or drizzle apples with caramel mixture; roll or sprinkle with crushed peanut brittle or toasted pecans, if desired. Stand apples on lightly greased wax paper, and chill 15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note